The Audley Dance Hall was built in 1949 as a gesture of goodwill from the Australian Defense Force who had been training in the park the previous two wars. According to the 1901 Census, Audley was home to 2,000 residents at that time.
Audley has long been a hub for the community: it was established as ‘pleasure grounds’ in the mid-1800s when a day in the Royal National Park was about picnics, rowing boats, playing lawn bowls, cricket and tennis and engaging with the surrounding nature.
When Audley Dance Hall was restored in 2010 it paid homage to that heritage with the addition of modern amenities. Audley is located near the village of Otford and the headwaters of the Hacking River in Royal National Park, which comprises 16,000 ha of rugged wilderness.
Audley was developed as a small village in a pleasant garden setting in 1879 and has remained an area of relaxation and recreation ever since. Its location opposite the Audley boatshed and proximity to wonderful walking tracks makes it a great place to escape the hustle of the city.
Audley Dance Hall has been designed to accommodate flexible seating plans and a dance floor, including a veranda overlooking the park. And while the well-thought-out space has been refurbished, it still echoes with stories from the past, having been designed for dancing 70 years ago.
Audley Dance Hall is fully equipped with an audio-visual system for speeches and a projector and drop-down screen for presentations or a video link-up. There is also full reverse cycle air conditioning and access for wheelchairs and bathroom facilities within the Dance Hall.